dlee

dlee

After Midnight

I find it difficult to watch a movie based on a book that I loved.  I'll sit there and curse at the screen over things that were changed or added or characters whose personalities were different on film.  Apparently, I have the same problem with books that were once in a rougher form on the internet and finally (deservedly) made it to published form.  Sonny and Ais created the world After Midnight is set in and what a world it is and what amazing characters populate it.  With this published version, Mr. Hassell reworked both this book and the others in order to make it all cohesive.  He took out Gordon's video performances and cut down on a scene which I personally felt was tedious.  He added Adam's perspective. All to the good.  He also changed a HFN into a HEA which I felt was unnecessary and possibly didn't really fit the characters.  But maybe it does now because the characters changed as well.  And this is where I had problems with the book.  I'm looking at all the glowing reviews, very much deserved I might add and I'm wondering why I can't glow, too.  I mean, the book was Good.  It had action, lust, tension; everything I want in a story.  But I can't get the "old" Gordon out of my mind.  I missed him.  I missed his vulnerability.   I missed him a lot.  This new Gordon has more of a hard shell and comes across a bit whiny and a bit like one of those people who is constantly the victim in their own minds.  I don't like those types of people in real life or in stories.  I wanted to wrap the old Gordon in a blanket and take care of him, I wanted to mother him, which is perhaps a strange reaction.  This new Gordon, I didn't care so much about.  It was a good book but it didn't get under my skin.  It makes it hard to rate because while they were the same story, they really weren't.  Not for me, anyway.